Friday, April 24, 2009

ECO

Some small steps that J and I have been constantly practicing for the health of the motherearth:
- recycle newspaper as well as those advertisement leaflets, brochures, catalogues etc.

- share a stirer (especially when we are at cafes like Starbucks which no teaspoons are provided and for to-gos also of course)

- take just enough serviettes at restaurants, and return unused (and clean) packet sauces to the counter

- if I really have to use a piece of tissue after meal, I will split it into half and share the other half with J

- do not ask for receipts whenever possible (during withdrawals at ATM, EZ-link top-ups, parking autopay etc)

- ask for e-statements instead of printed statements (bank statements, credit card bills etc)

- use our own shopping bags (for groceries especially) whenever possible

- reuse wrapping papers and ribbons (mine had been reused for years and most of the time I will thick-skinnedly ask the wrapping papers back when I give out presents but anyway I give presents mostly to close friends or family so they don't really mind. If I have to get wrapping papers I would lean towards recyled or fibre type of material as those wrappers won't get wrinkled easily or maybe get paperbags which can be used again and again!)

- do not use a straw when I have canned drinks (but I will wipe the opening to make sure there isn't any rat urine)

- bring our own water in water bottle when we are out (to save $$ also haha..)

- switch off lights that aren't in used

I don't call myself as some environmental extremist nor am trying to be a self-righteous tree hugger as these environmental acts actually come quite naturally. It's more like a habit now, all good ones I believe.

But there are certainly items that I need to pay more attention to such as:
- the amount of disposable containers and bags that I had used during the daily da-paos. Haven't find the perfect reusable containers for noodle soup. But at least I always ask the hawkers not to give me any disposable utensils. Maybe I should try to eat-in more.

6 comments:

pik lay said...

i am so tired and sleepy. How are you? On the first sight, I thought you wanna share your ECO with us...Myhead is all about work

Fang Fang said...

haha i have had a lifetime of ECOs for the past few weeks.

Think i am getting sick. :(

kevin tham said...

thats why engineer so important to preserve energy lor.... i'm doing hybrid vehicle electrical stuff now...hehehehe....next time create a hybrid vehicle toy to u ..ok??

Fang Fang said...

i want a hybrid car, you give me that can?

kevin tham said...

yeah..a hybrid car toy model...kakakkaka

kevin tham said...

why never reply in my blog o ?????beh syok maam....